In many ways, the story of Kent State University at Stark began in 1912, when John McGilvery, the new president of the Kent Normal School, decided to take teacher education directly into the communities of Northeastern Ohio. From that point on, Kent State's regional campuses have set a high standard for locally based college and university education. Stark County has been the recipient of Kent's extension and off-campus programs since the very beginning.
- 1946-1950 Origins: Kent State Canton
- 1950-1959 Rebirth: The Cadet Program
- 1960-1969 In Search of a Home
- 1970-1979 Campus Expansion
- 1980-1989 A New Focus
- 1990- Present and Future