Stark News Details
Harvest for Hunger Campaign: April 8 - 16Posted Apr. 8, 2014
Kent State University at Stark is holding a Harvest for Hunger Food and Funds Drive to benefit the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, a local non-profit operation serving Carroll, Holmes, Medina, Portage, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas and Wayne Counties. Take this opportunity to help feed the hungry in the community we serve. A student from your classroom or a family from your neighborhood could benefit from your generosity. I encourage you to join in Kent State Stark’s efforts to care for those who are less fortunate than ourselves.
All food and funds raised will help the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank and it’s network of more than 500 partner agency programs to supply emergency food to those in need. Food insecure families are so limited in their resources that they are forced to reduce the quality of their food, cut out meat and other high protein foods, as well as skipping meals so that their children can eat, or make tough decisions like paying for food or paying other costs of living.
Here are some startling statistics about hunger in Northeast Ohio:
- One in seven Ohio households is at risk of being food insecure.
- More than 240,000 people in Northeast Ohio don’t have regular access to food.
- 49% of clients served by the Foodbank report having to choose between paying for food or paying for utilities.
- 35% of clients served by the Foodbank report having to choose between paying for food and paying for medical care.
How You Can Help:
- Donate Funds
For every one dollar donated, the Foodbank can provide four meals to the community.
- Participate in the following Fundraising Activities:
- Visit the Campus Center from 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 9 - Friday, April 11 to purchase your donations: $1=canned food item; $2=peanut butter; $3=cereal
- Visit the Emporium or Bookstore to purchase your Flashes Fight Hunger pledge.
- Donate Non-Perishable Food Items
The "Super Six" most needed items are:
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Soup
- Canned Beef
- Canned Vegetables
- Canned Tuna
Donation boxes locations:
- Main Hall Lobby
- Campus Center Lobby
- Fine Arts Lobby
Questions can be directed to Kelly Simonis, special events coordinator, at 330-244-3223 or firstname.lastname@example.org.